Ayurvedic Treatment to Cure Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS)
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) is a heterogeneous disorder characterized by excessive androgen production by the ovaries mainly, which interferes with the reproductive, endocrine, and metabolic function.
Changes in lifestyle, diet, and stress of modern society have led to an increase in the incidence of PCOS. PCOS in Ayurveda was correlated with Aarthava Kshaya.
In Ayurveda, the body is seen as a living organism, in which the three doshas-Vata, pitta, and Kapha must be balanced.
PCOS is fundamentally a Kapha-induced problem, the reproductive system remains in the balance because of all three doshas that serve specific functions in the ovarian and the menstrual cycle.
It is happening when Kapha and Vata are aggravated, causing irregular periods, excessive hair growth, weight gain, and hormonal imbalance. Ayurvedic treatment has a holistic approach towards the management of PCOS.
Symptoms of PCOS
Common symptoms of PCOS include:
- Irregular periods or no periods at all.
- Difficulty getting pregnant (because of irregular ovulation or failure to ovulate).
- Excessive hair growth (hirsutism) – usually on the face, chest, back, or buttocks.
- Weight gain.
- Thinning hair and hair loss from the head.
- Oily skin or acne.
Causes of PCOS
Some of the factors that lead to the condition of PCOS are the following:
- Excess insulin
Insulin is the hormone produced in the pancreas that allows cells to use sugar, and to supply energy for the body. If the cells become resistant to the action of insulin, then our blood sugar levels can rise and your body might produce more insulin. Excess insulin might increase androgen production, causing difficulty with ovulation.
- Low-grade inflammation
This term is used to describe white blood cells' production of substances to fight infection. Research has shown that women with PCOS have a type of low-grade inflammation that stimulates polycystic ovaries to produce androgens, which can lead to heart and blood vessel problems.
Certain genes might be a factor that leads to PCOS.
- Excess androgen
The ovaries produce abnormally high levels of androgen, resulting in hirsutism and acne.
Ayurvedic Treatment for PCOS
Ayurvedic treatment for PCOS- Snehana with Pippalyadianuvasana Thaila and Virechana with Hinguthriguna Thaila.
Ayurveda is a holistic approach that recommends treatments that include wellness therapies, herbal formulations, diet, and exercise. Among them, the most important is the combined effect of Snehana with Pippalyadianuvasana Thaila and Virechana with Hinguthriguna Thaila to cure polycystic ovarian syndrome.
In PCOS, there is Nashtarthava which means the loss of ovulation as well as menstruation.
Kapha Vatha Avarana causing Artavanasha which is explained as Nashtarthava by Susrutha can also be considered in this particular disease.
Vatha is the cardinal Dosha vitiated in all these conditions. So the treatment modalities which correct Vathavaigunya can be adopted here. By considering the above facts Snehana with Pippalyadi Anuvasana Thaila and Virechana with Hingutriguna were selected.
These treatment modalities help in correcting Mootavatha and thereby removing Arthavavaha Srothorodha.
Ayurveda Treatment Procedure for PCOS
The first step is that the symptoms were assessed before starting treatment using a case proforma, ultra-sonogram, and necessary lab investigations.
Snehana, or Oleation Therapy, is one of the most important therapies that prepare the body to receive specialized Panchakarma treatment.
It involves the application of medicated oils, ghee, and herbs to the body internally and externally.
- Snehana (Abhyanthara and Bahya Sneha) should be done after Deepana-Pachana. (The process of stimulation of Jaataragni is called Deepana. Pachana does the digestion of Ama but does not increase the Agni. Both Deepana-Pachana removes the Samaavastha and detaches the vitiated Doshas which are adhered to Srothases.) It gives Snigdhatha, Vishyanthatha, Mardavatha, and Kledatha of sareera. Ashtangahridyam describes the combination of Snehapana Pippalyadi Anuvasana Thaila as very suitable for the treatment of PCOS.
- Pippalyadi Thailam (Oil) is an herbal and Ayurvedic oil, used to treat PCOS with its external application. It also has Ayurvedic Panchakarma treatment called Anuvasana Basti. Pippali is considered as Pathya in Yonirogas. The drugs included in the Yoga are Kapha Vatha Samana Ushnavirya, Deepana, and Vathanulomana. The Vatha is considered as the cardinal Dosha vitiated in the Samprapthi of the PCOS.
- Virechana is another detoxifying Panchakarma that involves the removal of toxins by inducing purgation (increased bowel movements). Virechana is extremely effective in obesity, irregular or heavy periods, hormonal imbalances, skin pigmentation, and the multitude of other symptoms triggered by PCOS.
- Higuthriguna Thaila is used as the drug of choice for Virechana. As per Ayurveda Hinguthrigunathailam have immune-modulatory, antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and free radical unfriendly properties. The combined effect of Snehana with Pippalyadianuvasana Thaila and Virechana with Hinguthriguna Thaila reveals that the treatment is very effective in reducing the menstrual interval. Deepana, Pachana, Kapha Vatahara, Srotoshodhakara and Vathanulomana properties of the combinations and treatment modalities help in normalizing the menstrual irregularities. Vata KaphaHara and Srothorodhahara property of the combinations also contributed to reducing the ovarian volume. Snehapana, Virechana, and diet restriction might have improved the body mass index.
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome is the leading cause of female infertility and one of the top reproductive endocrine disorders in the world. The treatment modalities Snehana, with Pippalyadi Anuvasana Thaila and Virechana with Hinguthriguna that are found to effective in the management of PCOS especially in the normalizing menstrual interval, reducing the volume of ovaries and reducing the BMI(Body Mass Index)due to it Kaphavatahara, Srothoshodhahara, and Vathanulomana properties.
All the information is collected from various Ayurvedic books and always consults an Ayurvedic practitioner before starting any herbal medicines for treating PCOS.
First Appointment is FREE
- Ashtanga Hridayam
- Sushruta Samhitha
Ayurveda Online Consultation
At TheVaidyar.com you can talk to an experienced Kerala Ayurveda doctor from your phone or computer.
- Low-grade inflammation