Health Benefits Of Shiro Vasti
Any Information you see will be valuable to someone today. Please share and Stay Connected.
We all know that the head is the most important part of the human body. It governs and controls all other functions of the body parts. Hence, it is important to pay attention to the head if we wish to keep our bodies healthy and strong. So Ayurveda aims to protect and fortify this vital part through the treatment called Shiro Vasti. It is also called Shiro Basti. This treatment provides relaxation to the mind and body.
Shirovasti is derived from two words—Shiro means “head” and Vasti means “container”. The main aim of this treatment is to get relief from neurological ailments. It is an Ayurvedic treatment of head, neck, ear issues, and Vata-based damage to the cranial nerves. It rejuvenates your body, enhances the life span of cells, boosts immunity, and increases metabolism in the human body. According to Ayurveda, depression, chronic headaches, migraines, and many other conditions are successfully managed by Shiro Vasti.
This treatment is good for rejuvenation and detoxification therapy. The methods of treatment are as follow:
- At first, the patient is made to sit upright on a wooden stool and medicated oil is applied to the body and head.
- A small leather vessel in the shape of a cap is placed on top of the head and the prescribed medicated oil, slightly warm, is poured onto the cap.
- It stays within and warms the head for about 45 minutes.
- Afterward, the head is wiped with a clean dry cotton cloth.
- Again, medicated oil is applied to the body and head and the patient is given a body bath in warm water.
- This treatment lasts a maximum of seven days and requires the same number of days for preparation and post-intensive treatments.
According to Ayurveda, The main benefit of Shirovasti is that it helps to treat Vata doshas. Shirovasti is beneficial in treating the following health conditions.
- High blood pressure.
- Insomnia or lack of sleep.
- Paralysis on the face.
- Dryness in nose.
- Itching on the scalp.
- Poor hearing ability.
- Trigeminal neuralgia.
The important Benefits of Shirovasti are the following:
- It nourishes the brain and also promotes intellect.
- Shirovasti helps in reducing anxiety and stress.
- It provides hair and scalp health.
- It treats disorders related to the eye, sinusitis, and migraine.
- Effective treatment for balancing the Vata and Kapha dosha.
- Helps in managing Parkinson’s disease.
- This Therapy helps with quality sleep.
- This treatment brings mental calmness.
- Get great relief from stress, depression, etc.
- Relieves pricking pain and burning sensation in the head.
- Cures diseases like facial paralysis, hemiplegia, Diabetic neuropathy, Epilepsy, etc.
- Effective for Rejuvenating the whole body.
While doing Shiro Vasti oil has an important role in the effectiveness of the treatment. The main oils used in this procedure are:
- Tila tailam (sesame oil).
- Bala Thailam.
- Brahmi Tailam. .
- Chandanbala Lakshadi Tailam.
- Ksheerabala Thailam.
- Mahamasha Tailam.
- Yashtimadhu Tailam.
- Dhanwantaram Tailam.
- Balaswagandhadi Tailam.
- Karpasasthyadi Thailam.
Tila tailam, Bala Thailam, Brahmi Tailam, Chandanbala Lakshadi Tailam, Ksheerabala Tailam, Mahamasha Tailam, Yashtimadhu Tailam, Dhanwantaram Tailam, Balaswagandhadi Tailam, and Karpasasthyadi Tailam are the preferred oils for performing Shiro Vasti.
Based on the health conditions and body doshas, the duration of Shiro Vasti differs from one person to another.
- Shiro Vasti is normally performed over 7-days, but in the case of persistent health conditions, the treatment may extend to up to 2 weeks.
- As per Ayurveda, Shiro Vasti recommended for Vata patients is 50 minutes for pitta, and the duration for Kapha patients is 30 minutes.
- Ensure that there is no hole in the junction of the cap before pouring to check leakage of oil.
- Ensure the uniformity of the Taila temperature.
- Should not heat oil over direct fire, heat through boiling water.
- Do not allow the patient to sleep, sneeze, and laugh during the treatment.
- Avoid cold food items, cold breeze exposure. .
- Avoid very hot and cold conditions. .
All the information regarding the health benefits of Shiro Vasti was obtained from various Ayurvedic resources. Always consult an Ayurvedic practitioner before starting any Ayurvedic procedures for Shiro Vasti.