Podikizhi - An Ayurvedic Therapy For Entire Body Relaxation
Any Information you see will be valuable to someone today. Please share and Stay Connected.
Churna Pinda Sweda, also known as Podi Kizhi in Ayurveda. It is a specialized therapy, used to treat diseases affecting the bones, joints, muscles, and nerves, as well as inflammation, swelling, and muscular stiffness. Churna or Podi is a fine powder made of medicinal herbs, according to Ayurveda. Pinda is a bolus. Sweda is a Swedish word that means "fomentation" or "sudation." Kizhi is an abbreviation for the bag.
In this therapy cotton bags filled with a hot mixture of herbs are used. Podikizhi is a popular type of Ayurvedic massage technique that helps to remove pain and reduces swelling caused by arthritis, muscular spasm, and rheumatism. This procedure is unique, defined under Ruksha Sweda. It is a highly effective rejuvenation treatment designed to revitalize the entire body.
The herbal mixture used in this technique contains 12 herbs. The main ingredients of the mixture used in Podikizhi are the following:
- Vacha (Sweet flag).
- Black Mustard Seed (Sarshapa).
- Jatamansi (Nardus root).
The selection of the Churna depends upon the nature of the disease and the dosha it is related to. The various Churna is used for this therapy are:
- Ellumnishadi Churna.
- Grihadhoomadi Churna.
- Jatamayadi Churna.
- Kottamchukkadi Churna.
- Rasnadi Churna.
Podikizhi also called Choorna Pinda Sweda is the Ayurvedic technique of fomentation in which cotton bags filled with a hot mixture of herbs are used. Choornam(powder) is the main ingredient in this preparation. The Choornam is selected according to the Prakriti and current disease status of the individual. The main procedures of this Ayurvedic therapy are the following:
- Take the main powder ingredient and other ingredients like Curcuma, rock salt, garlic, lemon (quantity and ingredients are selected individually).
- Herbs are mildly heated in a pan with a little oil.
- After 5 minutes, put the herbal medicine in cotton cloths to make small bags.
- When the temperature of bags is in an average range, dip the poultice in a little oil and apply the bags over the affected parts of the body to reduce pain.
- The same temperature is maintained in the treatment by interchanging them.
- The poultice should have an adequate heat level throughout the procedure.
- Apply bags and do massage simultaneously.
- Advise the patient to take a hot water bath after the Podikizhi.
The duration of the procedure is about 45 t0 60 minutes. The course of the treatment with Podikizhi should be 7 days to 3 weeks.
Below mentioned are the Therapeutic Indications of Podikizhi:
- Rheumatoid Arthritis.
- Muscular spasm, muscular pain, or Muscular sprain and stiffness.
- Swelling on joints due to osteoarthritis of other diseases.
- Paralysis and other neurological diseases.
- Post-trauma or sports injury rehabilitation.
The most important Benefits of Podikizhi are the following:
- Podikizhi increases the peripheral blood supply, so it also helps in improving the complexion of the skin.
- It is an effective remedy for body pain and strengthens muscles and skin.
- It is the best technique for relaxation and relieving stress.
- It has detoxifying properties for the skin, removes the toxins through the skin pores, and lowers the tendency of skin diseases.
- It reduces the inflammation of the joints.
- It also tones and rejuvenates the skin's relaxation, promoting inner balance.
- It relieves joint pain and strengthens the spinal muscles with the lubrication of joints. .
- It is one of the best treatments for rheumatic fever and arthritis.
- It is used for different neurological ailments, obesity, sciatica, lumbago, and other painful diseases. .
Podikizhi is an Ayurvedic Pain relief therapy. In this treatment we use herbal powders heated and or fried in herbal oils and tied in a bolus to rub against the painful parts for a fixed time duration. Thus it helps to heal all body pains, other related conditions, strengthen and rejuvenate joints, muscles, and soft tissues.
All the information related to Ayurvedic Therapy, Podi Kizhi is based on various Ayurvedic resources. Always prefer the advice of an Ayurvedic doctor before using Podi Kizhi for various body aches.