Ayurveda Treatment and Home Remedies for Eye Strain or Fatigue
We are living in an electronic world today. Most of us are working on the computer, mobile, and various other devices. Extended usage of electronic devices causes eye strain and fatigue. According to Ayurveda, eyes are the seat of Pitta dosha, and most of the eye problems are happening due to pitta imbalance. Stress, anger, anxiety, alcohol, spicy food, pollution, direct sunlight, are some other reasons for eye irritation.
Causes of Eye Fatigue
- Incompatible food: When you eat spicier, salty, and sour foods it causes aggravated pitta and leads to eye strain.
- Delayed sleep: Late-night works, contemplating electronic devices for long, lack of proper sleep, etc leads to eye fatigue.
- Suppression of natural urges: If you can't control sleep and your emotions in a balanced way, leads to eye irritation.
- Anger, grief and fear: Anger stimulates Pitta dosha and grief and fear stimulates Vata dosha. The dosha disproportions give endeavours to eye muscles.
- Environmental imbalances: Cold temperatures and dry air cause dehydration of the eyes that leads to swelling, red eyes, pain, blurred vision, and sometimes teary eyes
Eye fatigue arises due to prolonged screen time, our food habits, environmental changes, and pitta imbalances
Remedies for Eye Irritation
- Eye Circles: Take a small quantity of coconut oil in your finger and slowly circle your fingertip from your inner eye crease up under your eyebrow around the outer eye and back to the inner eye. Repeat it 4-5 times.
- Massage: One of the best remedies to reduce eye strain is applying a spoon of castor oil on your scalp and feet before going to bed, which offers sound sleep and reduces eye strain.
- Palming: Palming is one of the best ways to relax your eyes. How to do palming is rub your palms together for few seconds to get warm and gently place it over your eyes. Tilt your head forward and rest your elbows on your knees. You can do it 5 to 10 times a day.
- Relax and meditate: Meditation and relaxation are some of the best remedies to reduce eye irritation. Meditation heals your eyes by increasing energy inflow to the eyes and reduces energetic blockages affecting your eyes, hence improves energy.
- Bedtime eye drops: When your eyes are dry or itchy, it is good to apply a drop of unrefined sesame oil in each eye just before you go to sleep. And for irritated eyes, applying a drop of castor oil in each eye before bedtime is recommended.
- Blink More: Blinking your eyes more when you are working on the screen to relax. Or, look at the greenery around you to make your eyes fresh.
- Rose Water: Using rose water-soaked cotton and placing it over your eyes makes your eyes more relax after a heavy workday.
- Savasana with an eye bag: Recline on your back in a comfortable position. Close your eyes and place a clean eye pillow on your face covering both eyes. Breathe easily and spend 10 minutes in quite dark.
- Frequent eye washing: Ayurveda says frequent eye washing in pure water helps to remove toxins and helps in eye clearing. Also, it helps to balance aggravated pitta.
- Application of Ayurvedic Kajal: Applying Ayurvedic kajal is the best technique to cool your eyes and strengthen your vision.
- Night Gazing: Ayurveda suggests looking at the sky during nights gives energy and nourishes your eyes.
- Reduce screen time and bright lights: When you look at the screen with intense brightness leads to fatigue in the eyes. So if you are working more on-screen, keep the brightness at a low level.
Ayurveda suggests various remedies to reduce eye irritation like the blinking of eyes, frequent eye washing, rose water washing, meditation, reduce screen time, etc.
Natural ways to improve Vision
Here are some of the best methods to improve vision naturally
- Eat right to balance Vata and Pitta.
- Proper eye care.
- Oil your scalp.
- Take a break.
- Balance temperature.
- Night sky gazing.
- Pada Abhyanga.
According to Ayurveda, some of the best ways to improve our vision naturally are following a balanced diet, scalp massages, eye care, pada Abhyanga, etc
The above-mentioned information was collected from various Ayurvedic resources. Always consult an Ayurvedic practitioner before using any herbs or herbal products.
Ayurveda Online Consultation
At TheVaidyar.com you can talk to an experienced Kerala Ayurveda doctor from your phone or computer.