Ayurvedic Ways to Cure GERD or Gastro-Esophageal Reflux Disease
GERD is described as Gastro-Esophageal Reflux disease. GERD is a common health condition in which the acids from the stomach flow back into the esophagus.
The esophagus is a food pipe that connects the stomach and the throat. The major function of the Esophagus is the transfer of foods from the throat to the stomach. The length of the Esophagus is 8 inches and when the esophagus doesn't work properly acid reflux arises. The esophagus is also called the gullet.
GERD is known in Ayurveda as Amlapitta. Aggravation of pitta dosha is the main reason for GERD and such a condition leads to stomach ulcers, sometimes.
GeneralSymptoms of Amlapitta( GERD)
GERD can be identified by monitoring the following symptoms:
- Burning pain in the chest.
- Nausea or vomiting.
- Respiratory problems.
- Acid regurgitation.
- Trouble Swallowing.
- Bad breath and dry cough.
Always seek the advice of your Ayurvedic doctor if you find any of the symptoms like pain in swallowing, vomiting, bad breath, acid regurgitation, burning pain in the chest, respiratory problems, etc. Ayurveda has various natural ways to control GERD symptoms positively.
Causes of Amlapitta( GERD)
Aggravation of Pitta dosha is the main reason for GERD as per Ayurveda.
- Consumption of spicy and dried foods.
- Certain medications like sedatives, tablets for blood pressure, and antidepressants.
- During pregnancy, the weight of the growing fetus leads to acid reflux.
- Obesity is another factor for the development of GERD symptoms because overweight increases abdominal pressure and in turn causes stomach acid leakages.
- Smoking causes GERD because when we smoke, nicotine, the main component of tobacco which will relax the food pipe and cause acid reflux.
- Alcohol consumption leads to GERD because alcohol can produce more stomach acids.
- Hiatal hernia is another fact of GERD. Hiatal hernia is a health condition in which the upper part of the stomach pushes into the diaphragmatic Esophageal hiatus.
- People who suffer from Scleroderma have chances to get affected with the symptoms of GERD. Scleroderma is a chronic connective tissue disorder.
- Eating at late-night or consuming heavy meals causes GERD symptoms.
Aggravation of Pitta dosha is the main reason for Amlapitta. Some of the general causes are pregnancy, obesity, alcohol consumption, smoking, overeating, more consumption of fried and spicy foods, Scleroderma, Hiatal hernia, etc.
Ayurvedic Remedies to cure Amlapitta
Ayurvedic treatments to cure Amlapitta(GERD) effectively are Snehapanam, Abhyangam, Virechanam, Lepanam, and Siro Dhara.
Snehapanam is a fine remedy suggested by Ayurveda to cure GERD. Snehapanam can be defined as the administration of Medicated ghee. The treatment aims to rejuvenate the entire body and Snehapanam is given according to the digestive capacity of the patient.
Abhyanga means whole body massage with herbal oil. The treatment ensures proper blood flow and eliminates body toxins; hence offers overall health of the body.
Virechana therapy is one of the fine remedies in treating pitta disorders. Virechana is one of the Panchakarma therapies. The process aims to detoxify pitta through lower pathways. The medicated purgation therapy purifies the blood also.
Lepanam treatment is mainly for 7 days. The process is the application of medicated herbal paste on the affected area.
- Siro Dhara
Siro Dhara is the process of pouring herbal oils or milk onto your forehead. Likewise, milk, buttermilk, water, coconut water, etc used for Siro Dhara.
According to Ayurveda, GERD can be cured within two to three weeks if we follow the instructions of the Ayurvedic practitioner promptly. Some of the popular Ayurvedic treatments are Snehapanam, Abhyangam, Virechanam, Lepanam, and Siro Dhara.
Home Remedies to Cure GERD
Some general home remedies that can control GERD symptoms are:-
Turmeric is rich in anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. Turmeric is a fine solution for gastrointestinal problems and improves digestion.
- Ginger root
From ancient times onwards ginger is considered a remedy to cure stomach issues. Ginger can absorb excess stomach acid and reduce the issues in the esophagus.
- Lemon balm
Lemon balm is rich in antioxidants and is good in curing digestion problems.
- Chamomile tea
Drinking a glass of Chamomile tea helps in balancing the acidity levels in the stomach.
From ancient times onwards, agrimony is used to treat stomach problems. The dry parts of the herb are used to prepare medicines.
Mustard is rich in Alkaline, which helps to neutralize the acid that comes up from the stomach.
Honey is good in curing esophagus inflammations. Honey is rich in antioxidants which helps in the health of cells and neutralizes stomach acid.
- Aloe Vera juice
Aloe Vera includes antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. From ancient times onwards, aloe Vera was used in curing digestive issues.
Banana is rich in fiber which improves the digestive system. A ripe banana can combat stomach acid and coat stomach lining to help prevent heartburn and other reflux symptoms.
Licorice herb can positively prevent irritations of stomach acid.
Of course, herbal remedies are one of the easiest ways to cure GERD effectively. Herbs can mostly get easily and have positive effects in preventing GERD symptoms.
Ahar(Dietary recommendations) to Prevent Amlapitta Symptoms:
A proper diet can control most diseases. GERD also can be controlled if we follow a balanced diet. As GERD is caused due to aggravation of Pitta, always advisable to follow a Pitta pacifying diet.
- Avoid spicy and fried foods.
- Add more bitter vegetables to your diet.
- Try some seafood, chicken, egg white, fish, etc.
- Drink more water frequently, which will make your digestion process very smooth.
- Foods like whole grains, oatmeal, rice soup, etc are good to control acid reflux.
- Try some root vegetables like carrots, sweet potatoes, and beets in your meal.
- Avoid foods like soybean, red gram, curd, black gram, horse gram, etc to control GERD symptoms.
- Stop smoking and alcohol consumption.
- Always maintain a healthy weight.
- Avoid consumption of foods just before your bedtime.
- Do regular exercises.
- Some helpful yoga postures to control GERD are Halasana, Setu Bandhasana, Utthita Trikonasana, Vajrasana, etc.
- Avoid foods that cause symptoms of GERD.
- Don't overeat and chew foods slowly.
GERD can be cured by following a balanced diet and healthy lifestyle changes.
GERD is a common health condition. Ayurveda has various treatment methods to cure GERD effectively.
All the information mentioned above was collected from Ayurvedic resources. Consulting an Ayurvedic practitioner before self-medication is always advisable.
First Appointment is FREE
- Kashyapa Samhita.
- Bhaishajya Ratnavali.
Ayurveda Online Consultation
At TheVaidyar.com you can talk to an experienced Kerala Ayurveda doctor from your phone or computer.
- Ginger root