Ayurvedic Diet Recommendations Based On Tridoshas
Any Information you see will be valuable to someone today. Please share and Stay Connected.
The concept of Ayurveda was developed more than 3000 years ago in India. Ayurveda is deeply connected with our culture. The word meaning of Ayurveda is "the science of life". Ayurveda aims to heal all diseases naturally.
According to Ayurveda, the human body is made up of basic five natural elements like Vayu(air), Varuna(water), Prithvi(earth), Akasa( space), and Agni(fire), together known as ' Pancha Boothas'. Panchabhoothas are associated with the overall health of the human body.
All physiological functions of the body are based on Tridoshas like Vata, Pitta, and Kapha which are made up of Pancha Boothas. Doshas form the foundations for all life. All diagnostic treatments in Ayurveda are done based on knowing the body type of each person. The proportion of Vata, Pitta, and Kapha are different in every human being.
All voluntary and involuntary movements in the human body are governed by Vata dosha. The digestive and metabolic actions are governed by Pitta dosha and Kapha dosha helps to hold the body tissues together.
Ayurvedic Diet According To Tridoshas
Ayurveda recommends diet charts based on the body type of each person.
Vata is associated with air and space elements and is considered the king of doshas. All the movements of the human body are governed by Vata dosha. Vata is located in different locations in the human body like skin, ears, knees, large intestine, pelvic area, and hips. The body type of people with Vata dosha are thin frames, dry hair, cold hands, cool skin, speaks quickly, soft and deep voice, etc. They are very creative and love learning new things. They have irregular appetites and need to follow a balanced diet for leading a healthy life. Vata disorders cause anxiety, insomnia, and flatulence.
People with Vata body type should follow a Vata pacifying diet.
- Always prefer warm foods.
- Follow regular food consumption patterns.
- Consumption of warm water is advisable. Also, herbal and spiced teas are good for their health.
- Cooked, warm vegetables should be consumed and must include vegetables like carrot, beetroot, green beans, sweet potatoes, etc in the diet.
- Fruits that are advisable for people with Vata body type are bananas, grapes, apples, pineapples, etc.
- Grains are an unavoidable part of their diet like wheat, rice, oats, etc.
- Dairy products like milk, butter, yogurt, paneer, etc are essential for Vata's body type.
- Spices like turmeric, pepper, chili, etc can be added to their diet in smaller quantities. .
According to Ayurveda, Pitta is constituted with Agni (fire) elements in nature. Pitta dosha regulates the digestion and metabolism of the body. People with Pitta body type have high energy levels. They are ambitious, passionate, perfectionists, and strive to always win. Their body features are strong muscles, soft and blond hair, penetrating voice, warm body temperature, moderately developed body structure, pink nails, etc. Excellent concentration powers, leadership and management skills, problem-solving skills, etc are the special features of people with Pitta body type. Pitta disorders cause various health issues like anger, diarrhea, stomach aches, headaches, inflammations, etc.
Pitta pacifying diet is advisable for Pitta dominant person are:
- Consumption of foods in a moderate quantity is recommended for them.
- Avoid salty and sour flavored foods as they stimulate the Agni in the body.
- Cooling foods are good for controlling excess pitta dosha in the body.
- Try to avoid oily and spicy foods for them.
- Fruits that are beneficial to pitta body type people are mango, oranges, papaya, pomegranate, grapes, apples, watermelon, etc.
- Vegetables that are good for the health of Pitta's body type are pumpkin, sweet potatoes, radish, cucumber, mushrooms, etc.
- Include dairy products like butter, cow's milk, yogurt, cheese, etc should be added to their daily diet.
- Grains that support Pitta's diet are rice, oats, wheat, barley, corn, millet, etc.
- Plenty of cooling water is recommended like sweet juices, fennel tea, etc.
- Spices that can be added to the daily pitta pacifying diet are turmeric, fennel, cardamom, coriander, cinnamon, etc.
- Nuts and seeds should be included in their daily diet in a moderate quantity for essential nutrients. They are almonds, pumpkin seeds, popcorns, etc.
Kapha is constituted with earth and water elements in nature. Kapha dosha is responsible for the right amount of fluids in the body. It provides a particular structure to the body and ensures the smooth functioning of all body parts. Kapha is mainly located in the body part like the head, chest, lungs, ligaments, fatty tissues, throat, connective tissues, etc.
People with a Kapha body type always have a graceful appearance. Their special characteristics are cheerful, loving, compassionate, easy-going, relaxed, etc.
Kapha disorders lead to respiratory congestion, obesity, swelling, depression, feeling of heaviness, etc. Regular exercise is recommended for Kapha- dominated people.
- Warm, cooked, and easily digestible foods are good for Kapha-dominated people.
- A warm drink of lemon with a mix of honey in an empty stomach stimulates digestion.
- Cooked vegetables are recommended for Kapha-dominated people like cucumber, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, etc.
- Spices should be included in their diet like turmeric, fenugreek, cumin, cloves, cinnamon, coriander, fennel, nutmeg, etc.
- Stay away from foods that are rich in sour and sweet foods, and high protein-rich foods.
- Apples, bananas, mangoes, pineapples, etc are good for a Kapha-dominated person.
- Grains like wheat, cooked oats, brown rice, barley, millet, etc are essential for a Kapha-dominated person's proper body functions.
- Dairy products that should be included in the diet of a Kapha-dominated person are buttermilk, goat's milk, and soya milk.
- Avoid snacks in between meals.
According to Ayurveda, the proportions of each dosha are different in different people, like some are dominated with Vata dosha, some are dominated with Pitta dosha and some are dominated with Kapha dosha. The disorders of each dosha affect the proper functioning of our body. Ayurvedic diet recommendations according to the body type help to balance Tridoshas.
All the information about the Ayurvedic diet based on Tridosha was obtained from ancient Ayurvedic resources. By consulting an Ayurvedic practitioner, you will get to know your body type and can follow a balanced diet according to that.
- Charaka Samhita.